Investigative Phased Interviewing Course
|Session(s)||Location||Start date||End date|
|$ 2,250.00||$ 1,140.00||$ 841.44||$ 4,231.44|
|$ 3,225.00||$ 1,140.00||$ 841.44||$ 5,206.44|
Students develop the knowledge and skills to gather more accurate, voluntary and reliable information from witnesses, victims and suspects. The phased approach to interviewing focuses on obtaining information that can be corroborated and used to advance an investigation. It is an objective led process, designed to be adaptive in its pursuit of the truth, while at all times being respectful of Canadian law and the interview subject's human rights.
Format and delivery
Length of course: 10 days
Class size: maximum 20 students
Delivery setting: theoretical portions are offered in classroom
- Ability to prepare for a witness, victim or suspect interview.
- Ability to engage the interview subject in dialogue.
- Ability to obtain a minimally contaminated pure version.
- Understanding how to establish voluntariness.
- Knowledge of Charter requirements.
- Understanding how to use memory enhancing techniques.
- Understanding how to use non-accusatory based interviewing techniques.
- Understanding how to challenge inconsistencies.
- Ability to recognize signs of trauma and conduct a trauma sensitive interview.
- Ability to appropriately employ persuasion.
- Understanding how to use accusatory based interviewing techniques.
- Understanding how to ensure the reliability of information obtained.
- Ability to conduct a Post Corroborative Assessment of the Interview.
- Ability to recognize and safeguard against false confessions.
Eligibility and mandatory requirements
- Acceptance or refusal in the course is at the discretion of the Canadian Police College.
- Success in the course is based on participation and completion of all required assignments and evaluations, with a minimum mark of 70%.
- Various evaluation methods are used including tests and practical evaluations.
- Re-testing or re-evaluation is conducted at the discretion of the course instructor.
- For more details or other information about the course, please email email@example.com.
- Date modified: