Expert Witness, Forensic Identification
|Session(s)||Location||Start date||End date|
|$ 1,875.00||$ 475.00||$ 350.60||$ 2,700.60|
|$ 2,700.00||$ 475.00||$ 350.60||$ 3,525.60|
Police expert witnesses in forensic identification provide scientific, technical or other specialized opinions to help the court understand the evidence or determine the facts in issue. This course ensures police officers have an understanding of the legal requirement of expert evidence pertaining to the Criminal Code and are able to produce proper curricula vitae and opinion reports with respect to their area of expertise.
Format and delivery
Length of course: 5 days
Class size: maximum 24 students
Delivery setting: in classroom
- Understanding the roles and responsibilities of an expert witness as it relates to investigations, prosecutions and the courts.
- Ability to draft a relevant curriculum vitae.
- Understanding the principles governing the defence of a curriculum vitae and how to verbally articulate it while testifying in court.
- Knowledge of the principles governing the defence of the student's opinion evidence and how to verbally articulate it while testifying in court.
Eligibility and mandatory requirements
- This course is offered to full-time crime scene examiners from an accredited police agency.
- Registrants must have successfully completed the Forensic Identification Course (FIC) or an equivalent.
- Potential exceptions include forensic laboratory personnel, forensic video analysts and/or fingerprint examiners from Automated Fingerprint Information Systems.
- Acceptance or refusal in the course is at the discretion of the Canadian Police College.
- Success in the course is based on participation and completion of all required assignments
- Various evaluation methods are used, including a pre-course assignment, participation in a mock trial and a final written exam.
- The pre-course assignment consists of submitting a court disclosure package containing a curriculum vitae and all documents required to support their opinion evidence.
- Re-testing or re-evaluation is conducted at the discretion of the course instructor.
- For more details or other information about the course, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Date modified: